Saturday, October 6, 2007

More Google Book Search

My last post on Google Book searches is far from finished. One can find all sorts of things if one plays around with spellings and combinations. Some of my more recent searches include --

1) Evidence of Thomas Syme as a Writer to the Signet in the book

A History of the Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet

On page 199 of the book is mentioned the background of Thomas Syme, not my direct ancestor but a caretaker of my ancestress, Catharine Syme, and, it seems, the man for whom my ancestor (and Catharine's son) Thomas Syme MacLeod was named. Google Books also shares libraries where the book can be found. Sometimes this revelation can be very disappointing but this time around it mentions a copy in the University of British Columbia. That means I could actually have that book within my hot little hands to see if there is any more to the entry than the small snippet view.

2)

2 comments:

northcaroline said...

Well Nerissa, I know what yu have been upto lately. Your blog is fascinating. Like you I find ancestoral history a wonderfully intriguing snapshot into the past. I will continue to follow your quest. P.S. Keep well my friend.

Deetsa said...

Yeah... you caught me. I've been hiding in my ancestry on occasion. Thanks for your comment. Your opinion is always valuable to me. PS: your sentiment is echoed by me.