Friday, September 21, 2007

Scotland's People

One of the best genealogy sources I've ever found is the Scottish government's site called Scotland's People: Connecting Generations

This site is the source of so many wonderful BMD scanned records. For those of you not in the know, BMD records refer to Births, Marriages and Death records. I have found a lot of information about my Scottish branches of my family. And I know it's far from over. I just need little tidbits to push further.

Census records and wills have also been scanned. These, too, have been provided by the site and are amazing sources of information. In fact, I can say, without a doubt that THESE two types of documents allowed me to find a very elusive ancestress when I had difficulty proving she didn't emerge fully formed from the dirt.

I've also enjoyed discovering some of the progeny of sisters and brothers of my ancestors. You never know who has what kind of information after all. I've found, through some records, very tempting information in regards of willed items that seemed to have passed through the hands of at least a few generations. Maybe they exist somewhere still.

I sure wish all governments were as thorough with their vital statistics as Scotland has been. They are a great role-model.

No comments: